About Mitacs Globalink Research Internship
Mitacs Globalink Research Internship is a competitive initiative for international undergraduates from the following countries and regions: Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom and the United States.
From May to October of each year, top-ranked applicants participate in a 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members in a variety of academic disciplines, from science, engineering, and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
Mitacs Globalink Research Internships are currently available at over 70 universities across Canada. For more information, please see our list of academic partners. Globalink Research Internship alumni interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies are eligible for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
What a Mitacs Globalink Research Internship offers you:
A 12-week internship that increases your knowledge of and explores hands-on research in your field of study
Work under the supervision of outstanding faculty members, with graduate students and research associates
Access to Canada’s unique research landscape: applied, dynamic, and innovative
A rewarding experience combining academic research at a Canadian university, professional skills development courses and social activities
A chance for you to explore your independence and gain international experience in a new country
The opportunity to connect with potential graduate supervisors should you be interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies with a Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship
Eligibility requirements for 2022
Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or combined undergraduate/master’s program at an eligible institution (see list of eligible institutions by country)
Have one to three semesters remaining in their program as of Fall 2022
Meet the grade requirements for their country of study (see GPA requirements for each international partner)
Apply to a minimum of three and a maximum of seven projects and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
Be fluent in the oral and written language of the project (English and/or French)
Be available to complete an internship lasting 12 consecutive weeks between May 1 and October 31
Where do I start?
Mitacs encourages you to start working on the following items before the call opens:
1. Review all eligibility criteria: in addition to the general GRI requirements, there may be specific eligibility criteria for each country and international partner organization
2. Confirm that your passport issued by your home country is valid until at least January 2023. (You are welcome to submit an application if you don’t currently have a valid passport. However, you will need to provide valid passport information if your application is approved).
3. Obtain a reference letter from a professor. Please download the reference letter instructions. All reference letters must follow the instructions provided.
4. Update your CV: You can submit your own CV or download the Mitacs template
5. Obtain your academic transcripts (in either English or French). If your university or institution cannot provide transcripts in either language, you are responsible for getting them translated and notarized. Transcripts must be included in your application.
6. English or French language proficiency tests may be required for some countries. Please check your country’s details for more information.
The call for faculty applications is now open! Mitacs Globalink Research Internship (GRI) is now accepting faculty project submissions for Summer 2023. Submit your projects by June 8, 2022, at 1 p.m. PT. The call for student applications for the summer of 2023 will be launching in summer 2022.