About SG Academies South-East Asia Fellowship (SASEAF) Programme 2023
The SG Academies South-East Asia Fellowship (SASEAF) Programme aims to attract bright postgraduate researchers from South-East Asia to Singapore research institutions for a 2-year long fellowship.
This fellowship was first known as the SNAS ASEAN Fellowship in 2020, renamed to the SG Academies ASEAN Fellowship in early 2021, then further revised to SASEAF in late 2021.
It is now administered by three academies in Singapore – the Singapore National Academy of Science (SNAS), together with the Academy of Medicine Singapore (AMS), and the Academy of Engineering Singapore (SAEng) – and funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF).
The SASEAF Programme involves the participating host institutions, including Singapore universities and research institutions such as A*STAR, and candidates aligning to agreed fields of research (science, medicine, engineering).
The review panel will use academic records, essays, letters of recommendation, the application itself, and other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the positive factors for selection.
The quality of the plan of study or research, the bibliography, the appropriateness of the proposed fellowship activities, the choice of host institution, and the potential for career enhancement will also be carefully reviewed. The candidate is expected to contact and seek agreement from his/her prospective host professor.
The candidates may propose any field of research done in Singapore research institutions. Preference will be given to candidates working on infectious diseases, public health and environment and/or water-related research topics.
Number of Fellowships
Up to 20 Fellowships will be offered each year.
SNAS will provide a monthly stipend ranging from S$ 4,000 to 6,500. The exact figure will depend on the experience and performance of the Fellow.
An additional S$ 4,000 will be provided for overseas travel at the start and end of the 2-year long fellowship period.
Access to professional development opportunities (events, seminars and training programmes) within the host institution, NRF and the three Singapore academies (SNAS, AMS, SAEng).
Opportunities to learn more about Singapore and to foster stronger ties and partnership between SASEA Fellows and Singapore.
Citizenship: Applicants must be citizens of a South-East Asian country (not including Singapore) and non-Singapore-based.
Degree & Experience: Applicants must have a PhD Degree from a reputable institution, and should have some formal working experience after obtaining their PhD Degree.
Place of Work: Applicants who are currently residing and/or working in Singapore are not eligible. However, Singapore-based researchers with a confirmed job offer in public-sector research entities in their home countries, with an appropriate start date (e.g. 2~3 years later), are exempted and may apply. Documentary proof of offer is required.
Age limit: Applicants should not be more than 40 years-old at the time of application.
Language: Applicants must be fluent in written and oral English.
Documents Required for Application include:
1. Application Form
2. Research Proposal (no longer than 2 pages) developed in consultation with the host professor(s) / PI(s) at the Singapore University.
3. Host professor / PI’s in-principle approval with his/her official email ID.
4. Certified copies of diplomas and transcripts.
5. Two recommendation letters from referees (preferably independent referees) stating your suitability for this fellowship. The letters should be submitted directly by your referee.
Applicant’s training, aptitude and experience: Academic qualifications, performance, relevant experience, aptitude to benefit from the fellowship program and the ability to add value after his / her return home.
Relevance and Quality of the Research Proposal: The proposal must be well-designed, innovative and the stipulated outputs must be achievable during the fellowship tenure.
Personal Qualities: The applicant should be someone who values collaboration between South-East Asian countries and will strive to foster strong bonds between academic bodies in the region.
He / she should continue to practice science after completion of this fellowship and contribute to scientific advancements through various means, including formal education, science promotion / application or policy-making, for a better and stronger South-East Asia.
1. Review your eligibility before starting your application.
2. Browse through the webpages of available professor / PIs in Singapore research institutions (e.g. universities, A*STAR etc.) and their research areas.
3. Reach out to the professor / PI you intend to work with via his/her official email and jointly develop a short research proposal (no longer than 2 pages).
4. Obtain an in-principle approval from your host professor(s) / PI(s), sent from his/her official email ID.
5. After obtaining in-principle approval from your host professor / PI, complete the Application Form. Thereafter, combine all required documents into one single PDF file and upload it here. The order of the documents should follow the list under ‘Documents Required for Application’, i.e. Items 1 – 4.
6. Thereafter, please direct your referees here for submission of reference letters.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com with the subject “SG Academies SEA Fellowship Application – your name”.
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2022 (Wednesday). The offers are projected to be made by around end-February to early March 2023. The SASEA Fellows should plan to start their fellowship sometime in-between March and May 2023.