Summary of EPFL Excellence Fellowships, Switzerland
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2022 or December 15, 2022
- Location: Switzerland
- Level of Study: Masters
- Scholarship Coverage: CHF 10’000 per semester
About EPFL Excellence Fellowships
EPFL offers a limited number of fellowships at master’s level to students with outstanding academic records. Anyone applying to an EPFL master’s program is eligible. The selection of candidates and the granting of the fellowships are based on the evaluation of the academic records of the candidates.
The fellowship Committee, comprising members of the EPFL sections representatives of the Associate Vice-Presidencies for Student Affaires and Outreach as well as for Education and representatives from other school services, selects the candidates.
The selection process is very competitive, only about 3% of the master students receive such financial support. Some fellowships are funded by EPFL directly while others are funded through partnerships with foundations or private companies.
1. Anyone applying to an EPFL master’s program is eligible. EPFL grants a limited number of fellowships to the most deserving candidates based on their academic records.
2. Cumulating this fellowship with other substantial scholarships is not possible. Candidates are required to declare all the scholarships they receive during their master’s.
3. If the master at EPFL is a second master’s degree, candidates are not eligible for an excellence fellowship
- CHF 10’000 per semester
- Reservation of a student room in a student residence (for “external” students only)
- A certificate of excellence (at the end of the master’s program)
Fellowship holders will be responsible to cover all expenses on their own (tuition fees, rents, etc.). The fellowship will be paid for 4 semesters maximum (3 semesters for a 90 credits master’s program) provided that fellowship holders:
- have not done a paid internship/master’s project during the master’s program
- are registered as regular EPFL students
No extension is possible, even in case the student decides to take a minor or for any other reason that might extend the duration of studies.
All documents should be in English, French, German, or Italian. Please join a legalized translation of all documents in another language.
- Your resumé (curriculum vitae).
- Copy of your University degree(s), if already available.
- Complete transcripts from each university you have attended.
- A statement of purpose.
- The contact details of three academic referees, who will each be asked to produce a recommendation letter for you (except for holders of an EPFL Bachelor’s degree, and those who hold a Bachelor’s degree from ETH Zürich or a Swiss university or FHS/HES and are applying for a Master’s program in the same field of study).
- Your identity card or passport.
Extra documents, such as TOEFL or GRE scores, research publications, or other portfolios of your previous work, are welcome but not compulsory. We will only consider documents uploaded in your online application form (no documents sent by postal mail).
How to Apply?
External candidates (Bachelor degree from an university abroad)
They should apply via the same online form than their application to a master’s program by April 15 or December 15 (there is a box to tick indicating that the candidates profile should also be considered for an excellence fellowship). There are no specific documents to be provided in addition to those required for the admission.
Internal candidates (Bachelor degree earned at EPFL / same field of study)
Sections might contact students to ask if they want to submit an application for an excellence fellowship. Students can also submit an application to their section by January 31 or April 30. The application should contain:
- a CV
- a motivation letter
- 2 recommendation letters from professors familiar with students’ work and achievements
- a transcript of all grades earned at EPFL