Fully Funded PhD in Computer Science
Students admitted into the PhD-only program usually arrive at UMass having already earned an MS degree at an accredited University. Ph.D. students are required to pass 6 core requirements, complete 18 credits (credits include core courses taken to pass core requirements), and 18 Dissertation Credits.
Our doctoral program provides assistantships for students during their first full year and during each academic semester following the first year. The assistantship provides a tuition waiver and 95% discount on the UMass Amherst health insurance plan.
PhD in Computer Science Program Requirements
The College expects that students starting work toward a PhD have a solid undergraduate background and Master’s level background in Computer Science. Admission is very competitive. We typically accept 10 to 15% of students applying to our graduate programs.
Backgrounds vary: we have students from engineering, math, computer science, electrical engineering, psychology and social sciences. With such a diverse group, an emphasis is placed on letters of recommendation, the personal statement, and GPA.
PhD Funding Coverage
For PhD and MS/PhD track students, it is our policy to provide financial aid (assistantships) to those admitted students requesting it (with occasional exceptions).
Stipends (9 month or 12 month) come in the form of Research/Teaching Assistantships. For example, stipends for the Academic Year 2022-2023 are $27,428.40 for 9 month appointments.
All PhD students are guaranteed funding for the entire first year (Fall, Spring, Summer) with a stipend of $37,533.60. PhD funding is contingent upon a student making satisfactory academic progress and teaching while in their program.
All students submit a University of Massachusetts Amherst Graduate School application for admission to the Manning College of Information and Computer Sciences.
2. Personal Statement (suggestions below)
- Share your research and/or industry experiences.
- Share situations in which you have contributed to computing for the common good or how you plan to in the future.
- Share situations in which you have contributed or had a positive impact on increasing diversity in a STEM field.
3. Transcripts -unofficial for the application
If you are not sure if your degree equates to a U.S. four-year degree, please use this tool prior to submitting your application
4. Official transcripts are required by the Graduate School once admitted
5. 2 Letters of Recommendation
- References will be requested through the online Graduate School application once an applicant submits the application.
- Applicants should choose letter writers who are able to provide us with information about a research project, a community service experience, or work experience.
6. English Exam scores for international students
7. No GRE required for PhD (and MS/PhD) applicants
The Graduate Admissions Office cannot consider any application for admission to the University of Massachusetts Amherst unless that application is accompanied by the required fee of $85 or the applicant has been granted a fee waiver.