Fully Funded PhD in Accounting at Rice University
Rice University, located in Houston, Texas, is renowned for its commitment to academic excellence and research innovation. The university offers a prestigious PhD program in Accounting, attracting aspiring scholars and researchers from around the world.
The main goal of the accounting doctoral program is to train students to do high-quality research, and become influential scholars in top academic institutions. The accounting group has world-class senior faculty and young, talented scholars with considerable expertise in the above topics and a vibrant research environment.
In addition, the program leverages the resources and excellence of Rice University in related fields such as finance, economics and statistics. Students will be required to take courses in economics, statistics, econometrics, finance, and a rigorous set of cutting-edge research seminars covering the essentials in theory, research methods, and contemporary accounting issues.
PhD Program Requirements
To be eligible for admission to the PhD program in Accounting at Rice University, applicants must meet specific academic and educational criteria. The primary degree requirement is the completion of a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting or a closely related field, from an accredited institution. While a master’s degree is not required, it can enhance an applicant’s qualifications and make them more competitive in the admissions process.
One of the crucial eligibility factors considered by the admissions committee is the applicant’s undergraduate GPA. Generally, a strong academic record is expected, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, it’s important to note that the admissions process is highly competitive, and successful applicants often have GPAs significantly higher than the minimum requirement.
PhD Funding Coverage
Full financial assistance will be provided to each admitted student in the PhD program in the form of a tuition waiver and a generous stipend which is earned in part through a research/teaching assistantship. Continued funding is provided for your first five years in the program contingent on satisfactory academic progress.
1. Tuition Grants: Full tuition support is available for each year of full-time study in the doctoral program.
2. Stipends: Students receive a stipend of $40,000 per year. The stipend is earned in part by working as a research/teaching assistant for an assigned faculty member. Students must maintain their full-time student status and continue making satisfactory progress toward their degree to receive the stipend.
3. Research and Academic Support: Students will be provided with a workspace, a personal computer with office software and statistical packages, and access to the Rice University network (e.g., email, library access, journals access, etc.). Students also receive a research support budget which can be used for miscellaneous scholarly expenses such as books, computer equipment, conference registration and travel, and professional membership dues.
Prospective applicants should be prepared to provide a comprehensive application package that demonstrates their qualifications and potential for success in the PhD in Accounting program. Key application requirements include:
1. Completed online PhD application
2. Transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
3. Letters of Recommendation: Typically, three letters of recommendation are required. These letters should be from individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic and research abilities.
4. Statement of Purpose: A well-crafted statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s research interests, career goals, and reasons for pursuing a PhD in Accounting at Rice University is a crucial component of the application.
5. Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV): A detailed resume or CV should be included, highlighting relevant academic achievements, research experience, and publications if applicable.
6. GRE/GMAT Scores: Your official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score report, or GRE test score report submitted direclty to us (test taker copy not acceptable). This requirement will not be waived.
7. English Language Proficiency: International applicants whose native language is not English are typically required to demonstrate proficiency through TOEFL or IELTS scores.
December 15, 2023
The application fee for the PhD program in Accounting at Rice University is $85